Click here for more details
Youth LEAPS is a registered not-for-profit organization that leads in the development and delivery of innovative prevention, intervention and reintegration strategies that improve educational attainment and employment outcomes among Black, African-Diasporic, Racialized and otherwise marginalized at-risk youth between 16-29 years of age. Our goal is to ensure that all youth have access to meaningful and relevant educational attainment and employment opportunities that meet their needs.
The Employment Counsellor will be helping lead Youth LEAPS’ Learn2Work Program which is a classroom-to-careers pathway geared towards multi-barriered youth, 18 to 29 years old, who are distant from the labour market. LEARN2WORK offers participants employment and educational skills development opportunities coupled with access to comprehensive social service supports to improve prospects of obtaining and maintaining gainful employment. Through the program, LEARN2WORK participants will have obtained their GED, essential skills training, connection to vital social service supports and a paid job placement in career track of their choosing.
The Employment Counsellor will utilize their skills in employment services to support and prepare LEARN2WORK participants to explore career options, identify and access necessary employment readiness training and obtain paid employment. The duties and responsibilities for the Employment Counsellor role are listed below.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide culturally sensitive employment services including intake and assessment, one-to-one and group employment counseling and referrals.
- Organize and facilitate workshops that will prepare clients to market themselves to employers and to find and maintain employment.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community organizations and partners to make appropriate referrals.
- Maintain an active caseload, including all file management responsibilities.
- Advocate on behalf of clients whenever necessary, including support in areas of employment, skills training, social assistance and equitable access to services.
- Maintain professional and effective information tracking systems on all activities performed for data collection and report writing.
- Conduct needs assessments and career testing in individual and/or group settings
- Develop relationships with private and public sector employers in order to market Youth LEAPS services and clients and place clients in jobs.
- And other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- A post-secondary education in Career and Work Counseling, Adult Education or a related field and/or 5 years directly related work experience.
- Excellent report writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and self-management skills to work effectively with clients, co- workers, outside agencies and employers.
- Thorough knowledge of all facets of job search and career development including an understanding of Employment Ontario Programs, labour market trends and resources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct outreach\marketing of clients and services to employers.
- Demonstrated experience in case and file management.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office; familiarity with databases.
- Flexible to work occasional evenings and weekend hours.
- Experience with supporting entrepreneurs and/or previous experience in planning/launching and marketing a business will be considered a strong asset
- Experience with social media platforms is considered an asset.
- Fluency in a second language will be considered an asset.
Salary: $45,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year (based on experience)
Interested persons should send their resume with a covering letter to:
Youth LEAPS Hiring Committee By Email: email@example.com
Please Note: JOB POSTING CLOSES ON MONDAY SEPTEMBER 10TH, 2018 by 5pm.